Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Netbooks

I recently purchased a new netbook. I chose the Samsung N120 and I have to say it's been one of the best purchases I have made in the past year. The Samsung is great but I think its more the idea behind and the capabilities that having a computer with me wherever I go that makes it so attractive.

As I have mentioned before I am a Computer Science undergrad and that means, you guessed it, a lot of computer based assignments. Having my netbook is great because even in those 40 minute breaks that I can't get to the lab I can still get good work done.

When I first got it, it came with Windows XP loaded. I added the Ubunutu Netbook Remix on so I could dual boot the system but I quickly realized that the GUI layout was dumbed down so much that anyone attempting to utilize any power user functionality would be completely hampered. I should have waited but in my haste I attempted to remove the netbook remix so I could put the full version on there. Unfortunately I went too fast and ended up corrupting XP beyond repair. After lots of time trying to fix XP I finally gave up and put Ubuntu on as the single operating system.

After that large ordeal I couldn't be happier. Ubuntu runs like a charm and this experience is finally forcing me to get up and truly learn Ubuntu. There is a known bug with the Atheros wireless cards but after about 2 hours I finally found a fix that worked. (Here it is if you are having the same problem)

If you have been flip flopping on whether to spend the money I would strongly advise you to go ahead and get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment